Kootenai River Network, Inc. is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that accomplishes its goals through grants and contributions from collaborators. The group formed late in 1991 in response to citizens concerns of threatened or deteriorating water quality and aquatic resources in the Kootenai River Basin.
The primary purpose of the Kootenai River Network is to foster communication and implement collaborative processes among private and public interests in the watershed. These cooperative programs lead to improved resource management practices and the restoration of water quality and aquatic resources in the basin. We seek to empower local citizens and groups from two states, one province, two countries and affected tribal nations to collaborate in natural resource management in the basin.
- Involve individuals and their communities in sharing the value of the Kootenai/Kootenay River watershed.
- Improve communication among agencies and diverse citizen groups throughout the Kootenai/Kootenay River watershed.
- Facilitate habitat enhancement and rehabilitation..
- Fully use best available science practices to facilitate proactive water resources management.
- Pursue coordination of efforts regarding Water Resources models and measurement techniques.